Some of the takeaways from our training included:
- Review video for lowering scenario, assist and rescue at this link.
- Watch the videos on focal point knots, rope-work (including muling the munter), and a video on the 3 wrap prussic.
- Make sure to choose an appropriate location to set up the 2-point anchor in regards to keeping a possible rescue in mind. Stay at least 2-3 meters from the edge.
- One of the easiest strategies for rescuing a person is muling the munter, since it allows you to be hands free while the rescue setup occurs. More advanced strategies like blocking the munter with a carabiner, using a RollnLock, or any other scenario should be secondary to the standard mule.
- In regards to snow travel – Make sure to bring a probe and do your best travel along the high point of ridges (when on the plateau of Soloheimajokull).